Monday, June 23, 2008

No comeback for now.....

I guess it is old news to anyone who followed the World Championships in Vancouver that I didn't race. It was a tough decision, but the fall I had off my bike in early May really flared up some of my old injuries around my pelvis and hip. After taking a few days off and then trying to get back out there just going easy, the body just wasn't happy. Even swimming wasn't tolerable, because I was so tight around my pelvis and lower back that my shoulders were not cooperating either.

At this point in my career, I have been through too many injuries to push through when I know my body isn't cooperating. So after a lot of thinking and talking with my family and friends, I decided to pull out. I was really disappointed at first, because I have been working so hard to rehab a different injury from last year. I really wanted to have one last chance to make the Olympic team this year, and I invested so many hours into rehab and physios this past year. Now that everything has settled, I don't regret anything, even though I didn't make it to the World Championship start line. At least I did get rid of that old injury that had been plaguing me for over a year. As my tailbone and pelvis loosen up from the crash, I am happy to be able to simply run. I really missed the capacity to just run. I didn't run last year from July 1st to Jan 1st that was a long stretch. I am really enjoying just working out for the pure enjoyment of exercise, instead of for an upcoming race. I think I lost a bit of that spirit because I was too focused on the event that lay ahead.

Thanks to all my sponsors for their continued support and understanding. At this point I am not sure what the future holds for me, but I am happy that I listened to my intuition and have allowed my body the time it needs to heal.

I have to say a big "Congratulations!" to my good friend Sam Warriner. Sam put up with me for the month of May, while I was going through all this emotional and physical turmoil. She trained so hard with the support of her fiancée Stephen Bradley, and training partner Lee, and consequently had her best performance to date at a World Championships. She place third in an amazing sprint finish. I was so stoked for her. It felt good to be a tiny part of such a successful result. Obviously she did all the hard work, but I got to distract her on her easy days. That has got to count for something! (lol)

I am off to Rome for my sister's wedding on July 3rd. It should be a fun event to be apart of. After that I will have to re-assess where I am at, and create some more direction in my life, for now I am just following the flow.

Take Care,

Jill

1 comment:

Tom Rushton said...

... but instead you got to do The Great Lemon Chase and that was way better anyway! (Even though we got 2nd... how the heck did that happen anyway!?)