Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A New Path

Having an opinionated boyfriend who enjoys updating his blog very
regularly has inspired me to type a few thoughts and bring anyone who may check up on me up to speed.

I can't believe summer is over and it is October already. Even though most people think summer is over at the end of August, in Penticton our weather usually holds to well into Sept.. The first 3 weeks of Sept. this year were absolutely incredible; highs of 25-28C and lows at night of about 8-10. It is perfect weather to be training for some big upcoming event like Kona; or, in Jordan's case, Ironman Arizona; or in, Tom, Olly, and Dave's case, Ironman Florida. Unfortunately I am not training for anything in particular right now, but I am staying active in order to stay somewhat fit??! When I say fit, I am now comparing myself to a regular person's definition of "fit", not an obsessive-compulsive endurance athlete "fit". I do really miss that feeling of being in top-level competitive shape, but I don't miss the fatigue that comes with it.


Even though I am not traveling around to races all over the world anymore, most of July I spent traveling around Italy. My sister got married in Rome at the beginning of July. I decided to stay over there for a few extra weeks, and I traveled solo on the trains through Italy. It was my first trip in Europe without a bike box. I also ventured into Austria (and watched a few friends compete in Ironman Austria), and spent some time in Munich Germany. On my way home I stopped in New York to watch Jordan race in the New York triathlon. It was an awesome event, and really made me want to do it next year.

When I got home, at the end of July, I started taking some correspondence courses through the CHEK Institute in Vista,
California. The first certification that these courses would give me
is that of "Exercise Coach." This certification is similar to a
personal trainer, but with a few more added skills to do some initial
postural assessment in order to create a program that is appropriate for the individual's imbalances and/or weaknesses. I take the hands-on portion of the course next weekend in Vista, California at the CHEK Institute itself. I am really looking forward to it because I find the course material really interesting. I am also taking the Holistic Nutrition course that the CHEK institute offers in Nov. Check it out at
www.chekinstitute.com

Jordan and I did our annual (hopefully??) migration south last week. Now we are based out of Glendale California. On our drive down we stopped in Boise Idaho, St. George Utah and in Las Vegas, which was a first for me. I thought Las Vegas was a great place to spend time. There really is so much to see and do, for lots of different types of people. I enjoyed wandering around, people watching as well as eating at some of the great restaurants. We also went to the Cirque de Soleil show Mystere. It was amazing, I thought triathletes were great athletes, these Cirque performers were so strong and flexible. It was really inspiring, made me want to work on my stretching!.

We arrived last Friday and are getting settled into a good routine. I am spending my time reading course materials, going to yoga, working out at Equinox fitness, and swimming at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Centre. Not a bad life…

Jill

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Hi Jill

I am glad you are having a good time and are feeling excited about your new career path. I am sure you will be a great coach.

Our school is working on a program called "Success". It brings in speakers from the community who are examples of success. I thought of you and wondered if you would like to come in to speak to the class.

Take Care. Aaron